Sunday, December 14, 2014

The story of an innocent soul


Man asked Yamraj (the lord of death) -

"Hey lord, I still do not understand what is my fault? Why I am dead at the age of 23? Did you know, my father died when I was just 4 years old? Since then my mother has struggled her life to feed me and my sister, to give us the right education and now when I just started earning, paying her back you take me away from them? I am responsible for my sister's education and then her wedding but now tell me how will my mother take care of everything alone now? Don't you think you are being unjust and unfair? 

At the age of 16, when my friends tried alcohol I stayed away. Not that I am deprived of these simple human curiosities but I knew my responsibilities. I wanted to be a good son, start earning and may be then try out drinking once at least. I never smoked ever so far when all my friends did. I didn't even have a girlfriend. In fact when I was in college a beautiful girl, Meena, proposed to me. I guess I liked her too but I rejected her. You know why. Girls are distraction to my studies so I stayed away from them but this year after I got this new job I was going to ask her to marry me. Well, now I guess that is not going to happen.

After my dad died while riding a motor bike, mom had been sceptical about me driving. She never let me ride a bicycle also. In college my friends once told me they would teach me how to ride but I never wanted to hurt my mother's feelings. So, I never learnt how to ride or drive. I usually take the bus or walk. Walking is good for health and saves a lot money. Hence, every day morning I walked from my house to office. 

Even while walking, I made sure to cross roads via zebra cross and only when it indicates green signal for pedestrians. Never used mobile phones while walking on the road or break any rules. I was alert and very conscious. 

Last evening when I was walking back home, I stood near the curb to cross road waiting for green signal. Just when it had turned green and I walked few steps in zebra cross, a car zooming in full speed made its way and hit me hard. I was flipped like a coin and my head was broken in to pieces. The driver seemed extremely rich driving a luxurious car, having no responsibilities, extremely drunk and a hot girl by his side. He broke all the rules by driving when the signal was red for vehicles, that too in full speed, drunk. But the irony is, he is still alive getting treated in the hospital where as I am dead. Do you think it is fair on your part to do something like this? Don't you think he should have died instead of me? "

Yamraj calmly replied -

"I am sorry to hear to your story but people's mistakes are to be borne by people. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, but your sins are answered by you. Lord gave you such a beautiful life but you people are spoiling it every day. You people are killing each other. Not me. I am just taking the dead. If you people aren't playing safe, then trust me lot more people will have to answer"

Only if the man was not drunk
Only if the man halted at red signal
Only if he was not speeding

A life of an innocent would have been saved. This might be just a story but this is also the true tale of many people. Drive safe, be safe and let others be safe. 

This post is written as a part of IndiBlogger contest in association with Nissan Safety Driving Forum. For more information please check their website https://www.nissan.in/innovation/NSDF.html



"The Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., conducts the Nissan Safety Driving Forum (NSDF) in India as part of its safety driving promotion activities. The program began as an annual activity in 2012. The overall reach and engagement levels have phenomenally grown and NSDF has effectively reached close to 2 lakh citizens. It continues to stay committed to its core objective of promoting safe driving behaviour in India. NSDF also conducts live simulated experiences to understand how safety features function through a simulated car crash. A 360-degree turn over highlights the use of seatbelts, while sessions on road safety emphasises on road etiquette to stay safe. NSDF encourages drivers and passengers to wear seatbelts, and participants learn through interactive activities the importance of wearing seatbelts. Nissan seeks to support reducing fatalities and injuries caused by traffic accidents, and NSDF represents the company's commitment in contributing to young, vibrant and mobile India."

No comments:

Post a Comment